Friday, February 23, 2018

Modern Wild Man ~He was an Oak Tree~


Grandpa was an Oak Tree, his leaves have turned red now.


The Love Between Grandfather and Grandson is a Tie that Binds


Grandpa and I at scout camp.

We live our life in and out of the lives of others.  So many people are blessings and instrumental to our story before we have time to realize it.  Many times like a high tide, life brings us souls to share the oceans bounty with until the tide goes out again.  Other times there are people in our adventure that are so tied to us that it's impossible to read our story without reading theirs.  Kindred spirits, souls sewn together, bricks of the same wall; life's journey grants us a few travel partners that are cemented to us, firm and unwavering.  For me, for the better part of my life, my story and my adventure has included a man I called Grandpa.  Inevitably paths part, seasons change, and we are all called home.  This season, this winter, this is the first time the cold winds of winter have blown between us.

Grandpa was a man larger than life for a young boy with adventure on his mind.  The richness of his life was people, never knowing a stranger, and introducing everyone he could to his Lord.  A man who valued his family, I found myself so often sharing time and trips and life with him.  I couldn't have known it then, but now it's plain to see his craftsmanship in the man I am today.  Never complaining and always happy to share whatever he had, he was careful that his shadow wouldn't fall on me so that I could always be in the sun.  Grandpa had time for me, for my story and he knew just how much room to give me to grow.  

Grandpa, his boys, and his grandsons on a mountain adventure.

Go karts, ball gloves, fishing rods, ponies, pocket knives, and shotguns are a means for young men, young men who will soon be old men.  They might not have been new, but they didn't need to be, maybe it was best that they weren't.  My cousins and I all knew the warmth of a home with belonging when you visited Grandpa and Grandma's house.  Grandpa was careful to always find cowboy boots and weekend jobs for me.  Trips to the mountains, to rivers and lakes were only vacations at the time, but are now cherished memories of growing up.  The man who taught me how to drive, how to bid at an auction, and how to turn a wrench, he was careful to teach in a way that you didn't realize you were his student.

Psalms 1:3 is a verse that Grandpa explained to me was his calling for me.  "And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper."  To me Grandpa was an oak tree, and I am an acorn that's fallen from his branches.  Sprouting and growing, I found shelter in the river bank held together by his roots.  His leaves sheltered me from the summer's scorching rays, but were careful not to block out the light.  A break from the winter wind and shelter from the storm, Grandpa made sure I was ready to bring forth fruit in my season and not wither.

Like an oak tree, Grandpa's leaves have turned red and his season is over.  I'm not sure where my adventures and story will go now, but I am sure it's hard to know that the seam that sewed us together for so long has been loosened at least for now. 

I'll miss the ornery twinkle in his eye, his crooked smile and crooked hat.  I pray that I can be a tall strong oak for my family and be fruitful in my season.  One day when my acorns think back on me when my leaves have turned red I hope they will have found shelter in me.

Modern Wild Man, Dad and Grandpa with a great muley buck.

~See Ya On The Other Side Grandpa~
















1 comment:

  1. Miss him dearly. A lot of memories were made in the outdoors with that man. He and I spent a very special day deer hunting a while back. We never saw a deer, but it didn't matter. It was a successful hunt in both our minds I'm sure.

    Thanks for sharing.
    Modern Wild Cousin

    ReplyDelete